I've stumbled on a system that makes D&D combat move incredibly fast.
Before the session, I wrote down basic statistics for each monster the PCs might encounter on index cards. To be clear: there's one card for "Orc" and one card for "Orc Eye of Gruumsh," not separate cards for each individual orc in the encounter.
I don't know about you, but I don't need every single stat on the stat block in most encounters. I just need this:
- Armor Class
- Initiative bonus
- Particularly relevant abilities (like multiattack)
- Major spells
- Hit Points
Why are Hit Points at the bottom? Because I write all of that on the index card, in that order, in pen. I usually then have about a third of the card left over.
If the PCs are facing multiple creatures of this type, I just copy the HP total in pencil for each one, so at the bottom of the card I have HP totals for each monster and mark those down as each creature takes damage.
That would be helpful enough, but then we get into initiative tracking.
I also have an index card for each PC, and those cards are a different color (green). I also have blank index cards in yet another color (yellow) for NPCs.
When we roll initiative, I write down (in pencil) each creature's initiative in the upper-right corner of that creature's card. I then sort those in order.
Why is this so useful for me?
- I find out who's next in initiative by flipping to the next card in the deck. I always know where we are in initiative.
- As soon as I flip to a monster's card, I have its most relevant stats right in front of me and can begin running it immediately.
- I can track PC conditions by writing them on each character's card.
- I know immediately once we've gotten to the end of a round (once we go from a creature with initiative 5 to one with initiative 18, I know we're at the top of the round). I can even track per-round actions by adding a card for it.
- I can add a creature to the battle -- without even having to roll initiative for it -- by just inserting a card for that creature into the deck.
There's a side benefit, too: I now have a compact monster manual in a space that's 3"x5"x1" in size. I can throw that into a bag much more easily than a full monster manual.
What Is This?
This site is dedicated to intellectual reviews and analysis of geek topics, including anime, video games, and tabletop RPGs. I also make things, from crafts to Gunpla to 3D printing.
What's Covered?3D Printing
Popular Tagsanime news review Role-playing gundam monsters workshop drawing video games Faction Monsters faction Let's Play an Interesting RPG Uncategorized boogiepop Random Idea 50 Games in 50 Weeks Pyre Game Design Hour Shattered World worldbuilding Tarakona basics GM Advice Prescriptions gunpla serial experiments lain gm advice
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- What to do when talent doesn't like your story - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- The South Korean family masterpiece LEAFIE - Anime Review
- Tabletop role-playing's effects on storytelling - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Story problems in The Last Jedi - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Rogue One, Clone Wars, and Rebels - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- The quiet, heartwarming Laid-Back Camp - Anime Review
- Queer coding in stories - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Hayao Miyazaki subverts tropes - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- How childhood stories affect you later - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Favorite mythology and Middle Earth - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Cosplaying the same character - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Cosplay and the re-enactment of myth - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Alucard and mythology - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Acting 101 with Monica Rial - Anime USA 2018
- Ten Best "American Anime" Series by Robert Aldrich - Anime USA 2018
- Anime, voice acting, and mythology - Crispin Freeman, Anime USA 2018
- Your voice is enough - Crispin Freeman's advice to his younger self - Anime USA 2018
- A review of Isekai Izakaya, an anime about pub culture
- Crispin Freeman's Winston and the relentless pursuit of excellence - Anime USA 2018
- The character Crispin Freeman identifies with most - Anime USA 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- The bizarre anthology film NEO TOKYO - Anime Review
- Why I love DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS
- News: MR. OSOMATSU, FAFNER, YONA YONA PENGUIN, and more!
- Why I love the original KING KONG
- A slice-of-cafe series? Review of YOTSUIRO BIYORI
- News: New EL HAZARD? SAO Movie in US Theaters! More!
- Why I love the PRYDAIN CHRONICLES
- What impact will 3D printing have on model kits? - The Great Debate
- The incrediby ecchi 1+2=PARADISE - Anime Review
- News: New KYOANI Series! BUNGO STRAY DOGS S3!
- Why are there so few horror anime? - The Great Debate
- Why I love SCOTT PILGRIM (the comic)
- This is pure slice-of-life: QUIET COUNTRY CAFÉ / YOKOHAMA KAIDASHI KIKOU
- News: More STRIKE WITCHES! COWBOY BEBOP and DRAGONBALL in Theaters!
- Why I love the manga of Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
- The obscure, thoughtful SF OVA SPACE FANTASIA 2001 NIGHTS - Anime Review
- News: VIOLET EVERGARDEN Movie! PIANO FOREST S2! CAPTAIN TSUBASA on US TV!
- How to Redeem the SyFy Channel - The Great Debate
- Dubs are made for stupid people - Dramatic Reading
- Why I love Mystery Science Theater 3000
- The pervy fantasy of MAZE (OVA) - Anime Review
- News: GOLDEN KAMUY S2! New Tite Kubo Manga!
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Book Review
- Otaku no Cooking: Rice burgers
- How do we encourage fans to financially support the anime industry? - The Great Debate
- What fanservice should learn from Tenchi Muyo!
- The perverse yet fascinating WICKED CITY - Anime Review
- News: New Anime; Season 2 for GURAZENI, REAL GIRL, MOROSE MONOKEAN, more!
- Live stream announcement
- What Tenchi Muyo! series should you start with?
- DVD is not worth the hype - Dramatic Reading
- The Complimentary: Yotsuba&!
- The Anime Western GUN FRONTIER - Anime Review
- What Western properties would make great anime? - The Great Debate
- Botched Miyazaki dubs - Dramatic Reading
- Tenchi Muyo! - Why you should care
- An anime Western? Review of EARLY REINS
- News: SIX New Anime Announced!
- Celebrities endorsing anime - The Great Debate
- Butt ugly character design - Dramatic Reading
- Making Japanese potato salad balls - Otaku no Cooking
- The finality of CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK - Anime Review
- News: New anime! BEAN BANDIT Kickstarter! LAND OF THE LUSTROUS Streaming! GHIBLI Documentary!
- Bacon-wrapped veggies? Yes! Making NIKUMAKI on Otaku no Cooking
- Anime Expo: Is it worth it? - Dramatic Reading
- What's so impressive about STARSHIP TROOPERS (the novel) - Complimentary
- The upbeat slice-of-life THE STELLAR SIX OF GINGACHO - Manga Review
- News: MESHI NUMA Anime! BANG DREAM Seasons 2 and 3! New YAMATO TV!
- Kenner's Alternate Star Wars Timeline - Complimentary
- Bootleg CDs are moral to buy - Dramatic Reading
- Making Naruto Rolls - Otaku no Cooking
- The live-action epic TO THE ENDS OF TIME - Movie Review
- News: 2 New Anime Films! More FREE! More Writers for LUPIN PART 5!
- Leave anime anime and live action out of it - Dramatic Reading
- Will we get another Hayao Miyazaki? - Great Debate
- The sweetly controversial manga BUNNY DROP - Manga Review
- News: New SHIROBAKO! More DIGIMON! More YU YU HAKUSHO details!
- The Positive Aspects of Anime Fandom - Great Debate
- Elitists Just Love Bashing Hentai - Dramatic Reading
- The psychological thriller THE GARDEN OF SINNERS / Kara no Kyoukai (movie 1) - Anime Review
- December 2018