Welcome to Geek Archaeology
This site is devoted to digging into a variety of geek subjects, always trying to go deeper. Check out the blog for videos and articles about anime, video games, tabletop RPGs, and more.
Things I Believe
Brent P. Newhall makes nearly all of the material here, and believes the following principles:
- Reviews improve as their objectivity increases. Tell me about the work's genre, its use of color, the pace of the editing, or plot twists that confused you.
- No review can be completely objective, but it's better to avoid subectivity as much as possible, and admit to it when it's unavoidable. Subjective reviews -- talking about what the reviewer liked or didn't like -- only help the reader/viewer if the tastes of both the reviewer and the reader/viewer match. This is unlikely.
- Specialization is for insects. Appreciation of one aspect of geek culture improves with knowledge of the rest of the world. That's why this isn't just an anime blog or video game blog. We are all connected.
- It feels good to have made something.
This changes frequently, but right now:
- Mondays I post a video covering the latest anime news, and I practice drawing and inking on a live-stream on YouTube starting around 7:00pm Eastern.
- Tuesdays I release an anime review.
- Wednesdays I live-stream on YouTube Worldbuilding Wednesday, where I talk about some aspect of creating a world, and Workshop Wednesday, where I build some hands-on craft or electronics project.
- Fridays I live-stream on YouTube starting at 9:00pm Eastern, recording anime-related videos, and I post a faction for use as an ally or enemy in tabletop RPGs or fantasy stories.
- Every Sunday I live-stream on YouTube video games for several hours.
I also present several panels at various anime conventions; you can download the slides for those panels on the Panel page.
Email me at email@example.com