They live in huge caves deep beneath the earth, venturing to the surface only when driven by desperation. If you are delving into caverns and come upon piles of bones near an underground lake, keep a sharp eye out for deep lizardfolk.
A little larger than an average human, the deep lizardfolk are strong, strange, and primitive, even by lizardfolk standards. Each tribe keeps to itself, exhibiting strong xenophobia even towards other deep lizardfolk tribes.
To survive underground, they have tamed several strange creatures that live in the same environment. Each tribe keeps a pit of vipers from which they harvest venom (and sacrifice in gruesome, savage rituals), and their warriors train giant, many-teethed worms that they wrap around their bodies and use to attack their enemies.
To build these, I'm going to take the base lizardfolk and increase its hit points and damage output. I'll also change its attacks so it throws its giant worm instead of its javelin, a potent attack that can continue dealing both piercing and poison damage every round.
Let's do this!
Homebrewery stat block:
Medium humanoid (lizardfolk), evil
- Armor Class 15
- Hit Points 25 (4d8 + 7)
- Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 15 (+2) 10 (+0) 13 (+1) 7 (-2) 12 (+1) 7 (-2)
- Skills Perception +3, Stealth +2, Survival +5
- Senses passive Perception 13
- Languages Draconic
- Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Hold Breath. The lizardfolk can hold its breath for 15 minutes.
Multiattack. The lizardfolk makes two melee attacks, each one with a different weapon.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage.
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) slashing damage.
Bite of the Worm. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. On a hit, the worm is attached to the target, moves with the target, and deals an extra 3 (1d6) piercing damage plus 1d6 poison damage per round (DC 12 Athletics/Acrobatics save to rip it off).
Spiked Shield. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.
Image originally from DeanSpencerArt on DeviantArt, which has since disappeared from DeviantArt. It appears to be this Dean Spencer, but I haven't found the same image on that site, so I can't be sure.
What Is This?
This site is dedicated to intellectual reviews and analysis of geek topics, including anime, video games, and tabletop RPGs.
What's Covered?3D Printing
Popular Tagsanime news review Role-playing gundam monsters drawing video games workshop Faction Monsters faction Let's Play an Interesting RPG Uncategorized boogiepop Random Idea 50 Games in 50 Weeks Pyre Game Design Hour Shattered World Tarakona basics Prescriptions GM Advice gm advice serial experiments lain gunpla
- What to do when talent doesn't like your story - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- The South Korean family masterpiece LEAFIE - Anime Review
- Tabletop role-playing's effects on storytelling - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Story problems in The Last Jedi - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Rogue One, Clone Wars, and Rebels - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- The quiet, heartwarming Laid-Back Camp - Anime Review
- Queer coding in stories - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Hayao Miyazaki subverts tropes - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- How childhood stories affect you later - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Favorite mythology and Middle Earth - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Cosplaying the same character - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Cosplay and the re-enactment of myth - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Alucard and mythology - Crispin Freeman talks story at Anime USA 2018
- Acting 101 with Monica Rial - Anime USA 2018
- Ten Best "American Anime" Series by Robert Aldrich - Anime USA 2018
- Anime, voice acting, and mythology - Crispin Freeman, Anime USA 2018
- Your voice is enough - Crispin Freeman's advice to his younger self - Anime USA 2018
- A review of Isekai Izakaya, an anime about pub culture
- Crispin Freeman's Winston and the relentless pursuit of excellence - Anime USA 2018
- The character Crispin Freeman identifies with most - Anime USA 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- The bizarre anthology film NEO TOKYO - Anime Review
- Why I love DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS
- News: MR. OSOMATSU, FAFNER, YONA YONA PENGUIN, and more!
- Why I love the original KING KONG
- A slice-of-cafe series? Review of YOTSUIRO BIYORI
- News: New EL HAZARD? SAO Movie in US Theaters! More!
- Why I love the PRYDAIN CHRONICLES
- What impact will 3D printing have on model kits? - The Great Debate
- The incrediby ecchi 1+2=PARADISE - Anime Review
- News: New KYOANI Series! BUNGO STRAY DOGS S3!
- Why are there so few horror anime? - The Great Debate
- Why I love SCOTT PILGRIM (the comic)
- This is pure slice-of-life: QUIET COUNTRY CAFÉ / YOKOHAMA KAIDASHI KIKOU
- News: More STRIKE WITCHES! COWBOY BEBOP and DRAGONBALL in Theaters!
- Why I love the manga of Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
- The obscure, thoughtful SF OVA SPACE FANTASIA 2001 NIGHTS - Anime Review
- News: VIOLET EVERGARDEN Movie! PIANO FOREST S2! CAPTAIN TSUBASA on US TV!
- How to Redeem the SyFy Channel - The Great Debate
- Dubs are made for stupid people - Dramatic Reading
- Why I love Mystery Science Theater 3000
- The pervy fantasy of MAZE (OVA) - Anime Review
- News: GOLDEN KAMUY S2! New Tite Kubo Manga!
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Book Review
- Otaku no Cooking: Rice burgers
- How do we encourage fans to financially support the anime industry? - The Great Debate
- What fanservice should learn from Tenchi Muyo!
- The perverse yet fascinating WICKED CITY - Anime Review
- News: New Anime; Season 2 for GURAZENI, REAL GIRL, MOROSE MONOKEAN, more!
- Live stream announcement
- What Tenchi Muyo! series should you start with?
- DVD is not worth the hype - Dramatic Reading
- The Complimentary: Yotsuba&!
- The Anime Western GUN FRONTIER - Anime Review
- What Western properties would make great anime? - The Great Debate
- Botched Miyazaki dubs - Dramatic Reading
- Tenchi Muyo! - Why you should care
- An anime Western? Review of EARLY REINS
- News: SIX New Anime Announced!
- Celebrities endorsing anime - The Great Debate
- Butt ugly character design - Dramatic Reading
- Making Japanese potato salad balls - Otaku no Cooking
- The finality of CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK - Anime Review
- News: New anime! BEAN BANDIT Kickstarter! LAND OF THE LUSTROUS Streaming! GHIBLI Documentary!
- Bacon-wrapped veggies? Yes! Making NIKUMAKI on Otaku no Cooking
- Anime Expo: Is it worth it? - Dramatic Reading
- What's so impressive about STARSHIP TROOPERS (the novel) - Complimentary
- The upbeat slice-of-life THE STELLAR SIX OF GINGACHO - Manga Review
- News: MESHI NUMA Anime! BANG DREAM Seasons 2 and 3! New YAMATO TV!
- Kenner's Alternate Star Wars Timeline - Complimentary
- Bootleg CDs are moral to buy - Dramatic Reading
- Making Naruto Rolls - Otaku no Cooking
- The live-action epic TO THE ENDS OF TIME - Movie Review
- News: 2 New Anime Films! More FREE! More Writers for LUPIN PART 5!
- Leave anime anime and live action out of it - Dramatic Reading
- Will we get another Hayao Miyazaki? - Great Debate
- The sweetly controversial manga BUNNY DROP - Manga Review
- News: New SHIROBAKO! More DIGIMON! More YU YU HAKUSHO details!
- The Positive Aspects of Anime Fandom - Great Debate
- Elitists Just Love Bashing Hentai - Dramatic Reading
- The psychological thriller THE GARDEN OF SINNERS / Kara no Kyoukai (movie 1) - Anime Review
- News: GHIBLI PARK Details, BEAN BANDIT Anime, GUNSMITH CATS Blu-Ray, and more!
- Spring 2018 Anime Preview Guide
- News: New Studio DEEN Anime, MIRAI OF THE FUTURE Premiere, and more!
- Anime Genres Poised for Comeback - The Great Debate
- Do not buy anime on DVD - Dramatic Reading
- Isao Takahata's Passing and Legacy - The Backstory
- Vampire Princess Miyu (OVA) - Anime Review
- News: Takahata passes, Japanese govt. asks ISPs to block pirate manga sites, and more
- When Real Life Meets Anime - The Great Debate
- Once You Hear the Difference.... - Dramatic Reading
- News: Final GUNDAM THE ORIGIN (maybe), MAERCHEN MAEDCHEN final eps in question, and more
- Fanservice - The Great Debate
- News: New DORORO and FLCL info! And GINTAMA coming to its end?
- Harem Anime - The Great Debate
- G-Gundam Made a Horrible Gundam - Dramatic Reading
- Usagi Ringo - Otaku no Cooking
- The epic art house film ROYAL SPACE FORCE: THE WINGS OF HONNEAMISE - Anime Review
- News: Tons of new anime, including BOOGIEPOP, TIGER & BUNNY, CARDFIGHT VANGUARD, and more!
- What does anime do poorly? - The Great Debate
- Macross Anniversary BLOWN - Dramatic Reading
- The surprisingly quiet THE DISAPPEARANCE OF NAGATO YUKI-CHAN - Manga Review
- News: Lots of New Anime Announced, including MAMORU OSHII and IKUHARA! Plus KISHIMOTO's next work!
- Why screwball comedies so popular in anime? - Great Debate
- Evangelion's Last 2 Episodes Will NEVER Be Released - Dramatic Reading
- The experimental weirdness of THE CHOCOLATE PANIC PICTURE SHOW - Anime Review
- News: New Anime Announced! Mari Okada's First Film Released! 2 Big Anime Films on Netflix!
- Why is there so much fantasy anime now? - The Great Debate
- Mononoke Hime DISSED - Salty Waters (Dramatic Reading)
- The post-apocalyptic slice-of-life comedy GIRLS' LAST TOUR - Anime Review
- News: New Anime Coming and Licensed, details on SWORD ART ONLINE live-action, and more!
- Internationalization of Anime - The Great Debate
- How can fans grow anime fandom? - Great Debate
- Bandai in America - Salty Waters (Dramatic Reading)
- December 2018